Cats/agressive cat

Hello, I've recently moved in with someone who has a dog, my cat has lived with dogs before and I've never had a problem with her before, she's never even hissed at a dog before. But now she keeps attacking this dog. The dog seems to just irritate her, sometimes she's fine with the dog even sleeping near it. but then if the dog barks or gets excited she often attacks it, she's also attacked the dog if a person bothers the cat (usually by trying to catch her)or the dog wanders into my room is there anything i can do to help them get along? she is a mixed cat 8 years old.
thank you, any advice you might have would be appreciated.

well usually its all in how the two animals are introduced to each other. the idea is to build trust and confidence in them both so that that their is no fear or uncertainty. however there may always be some occasional spats but this is normal.

It may be worth taking some steps backwards and going through the introduction process again over a period of a week or so. The process is described here on my web page (it is the same process with cats and dogs. /introducing-cats.html

Also make sure the cat has a place that they can retreat to that the dog cannot get to as this will be her safe place where she does not have to worry about the dog. Many people place a cat bed on a wardrobe top for this but obviously it depends on your own situation.

I hope things settle down soon for you all, I'm sure they will given a little time and TLC :)

best wishes kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.