Cats/non sucklling new born

Question
I have a litter of 3 day old kittens.
2 are suckling and growing well, but the third, the first born will not suckle from his mother.
I have tried to "latch him on" with no success. Mum has very tiny teats. I am bottle feeding him and have to open his mouth to get the treat inside. Only when I get the teat right inside his mouth does he suck, and he sucks really strongly. He is gaining weight very slowly (only about 5 g a day. Is it worth continuing with hand feeding or do you think he has a problem as he does not seem able to suck by himself?
Thanks

Answer
Hi
yes it is important that kittens feed often during the first few weeks of their life, it is also important that they get all the right nutrients etc.

Please see my web page about feeding kittens as it has some advice as to how best to do this. Kittens need  a specail shaped nipple to stimulate feeding, it needs to be long and thin.

here is the web page
/kitten-food.html

best wishes Kate  

Cats

Kate Tilmouth