Hi! About two weeks ago, we got our three male cats neutered. They recovered nicely, and were climbing stairs and jumping barely 12 hours after surgery! I was wondering, though. Do male cats tend to go through the motions of trying to mate? I was just curious. Thanks!

well once the hormones in their bodies have dropped after surgery they will no longer have the urge to mate.

However having said that sometimes instinct catches them out and it has been known for even neutered male cats from time to time to look as if they are trying to mate with something, but it is very infrequent if at all.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.