Cats/babies taken from mom cat

I know a lot of baby kittens are given away at six weeks of age. My cat's kittens
are two and a half months and eat solid food now but still nurse. There are only
two kittens-the other four died in the cold because she hid them outside. She
seemed to handle that okay but now is weirder than ever-crying a lot, not so
affectionate. What damage will I do to her if I give one of her babies away?

well at two and a half months the kittens should really stop nursing from mum and start to eat solid food on their own.

in fact this could be the reason why the mum cat is becoming a little grumpy, she wants the kids to be more independent is getting fed up with them feeding from her.

Also as the kittens get other their may be territory issues, so giving one of them away is actually a good thing as it frees up some territory for your mum cat.

At around 4 months old you should consider having the kitten or both of them neutered. This will also prevent territorial fights breaking out between them.

i have some web pages about kitten care etc which you may find of further interest. here is the first page

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.