Cats/birthing

Question
my cat is pregnant due round 25 june will she need my help to give birth? also how long will it be before we can hold the kittens?thanks

Answer
Hi
Generally the answer is no, your cat will be able to do the whole thing herself. In fact the less we can interfere the better as it will help her with her mothering skills.

cats have a strong sense of instinct and mother nature has a big hand in it also, so the best we can do for our cats is allow them some time on their own with out us fussing around to much. keep an eye on her from a distance now and again just to make sure there are no complications (like a kitten getting struck etc, but this is rare and in which case you may just have to help ease it out but don't unless she has had a kitten stuck in the opening for some time and then really a vet should be the one to judge what is best to do.)

As for once the kittens are born. try not to handle them for the first day, this gives the mum time to get to know them and them her. but a some light handling the next day should be fine.

I have some web pages about kitten care and calso cat preganancy which you may find of further interest

/cat-pregnancy.html

/kitten-care.html

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth