Cats/cat shedding

have had five cats over the years and now have one that shed its fur continually, year -round.  never have i had one that shed like this.  is something missing from its diet to cause it to shed so much?

I know the feeling. I have had many many cats in my life but my current one sheds all the time and lots and lots. I even asked my vet about it years ago and he looked at me as if I were mad. He said that as far as he knew nothing would affect the amount of hair a cat sheds.

Domestic cats do loose hair all year round now as they are used to indoor life i.e central heating. this means that they no longer go through the seasonal shedding as much as there wild cousins do.

Basically you may just be unlucky like I am have a cat that seems to shed more than normal. And unfortunately the only solution is to make grooming more a part of your regular routine. This will help prevent your cat from getting fur balls and also you will have less hair left around your home.

I have included a couple of links to two pages on my website which you may find of further interest.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.