Cats/Cats rectrum is bleeding

Hi there i have a 11 month old kitten she has not been sprayed and has been outside but tonight i noticed her rectum was bleeding (but not heavily). She has been in her tray looking like she is pushing something out but nothing happens. When i touch her stomach she also crys a little. She seems like she is in discomfort. Is this just a bad case of heat or should she be taken to the vet??

well unfortunately it is difficult to say for sure as yes it is possible that she is having her first heat, however if you say she is straining then there may be a blockage due to constipation etc and this should definitely be seen by a vet.

I have a web page about cat constipation which you may find of further interest here

If it were me I think I would take her to the vets to have her checked out just for my own piece of mind.

i hope she is better soon

best wishes Kate  

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.