Cats/Kittens Know how to find home

We have an 8-week old cat that has been with us for the last 4 weeks.  We let him outside, but under supervision.  How long until they know their way home?  We don't want him to get lost.

he is very young indeed. In fact he should have remained with his mother until he was at least 7 weeks old as this is known as the sensitive period and is where they learn alot from their mother and siblings aboutbeing a cat etc.

Anyway that aside I would say that he is a little young to be outside on his own and if I were you I would wait until they are leats four months old before you allow them out on their own. Even then there are no garntees that he will not get lost(although unlikely as cats have a strong sense of direction)

I have a section on my website all about kitten care etc which you may find of further interest.
Here is the first page.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.