My cat seemed to have lost meow recently. He is one year old and used to be vocal, now he opens his mouth and nothing comes out.  What could this be?  He also seems not as spunky as he was.

Well it doe rather depend on how long this has happened for. It is within the last few days then I would say that it sounds like he has caught a cold and has a sore throat. This is common and nothing to worry about it should pass in a few days. My own cat goes croaky or eve n silent when she has a cold and as they are not feeling themselves will be quieter than before.

if it has been going o for longer than he will need to see the vet for further investigations as it is impossible to say what else could be causing his change in mood etc.

Hopefully it is just a passing cold.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.