Cats/sick Bengal Kitten

kelly wrote at 2011-01-12 02:15:11
I too have a 4 mo old Bengal kitten named Cosmo. I took him to vet for rabies and 4mo old booster. He was also boarded for 4 days since we were on vacation. When I picked him up, I noticed his furred looked greasy and unkept and tented like he was dehydrated. Since that day he has declined in health and looks like he lost weight, lost all sparkle in his coat, seems to eat less, drinks water a lot, sleeps all day and lost all interest in playing. I also looked at his gums and they look white. His breathing also seems rapid at 54 respiration per minute. I called the vet today telling  them this and asked if he should be neutered in 2 days. They told me to bring him in as scheduled and vet will decided that morning if he is sick. Since this morning, he looks even worse. Now after reading the posting about rxn with Bengal and vaccinations, I'm afraid my Cosmo will die also. I will be taking him to vet in am even if I have to show up without an appointment. Don't know if its too late

cassie wrote at 2013-07-19 16:46:11
   Hello, I am sorry about your loss. I have had my Bengal cat for 7 years. If you get another one the shot have to be given half a shot at a time. That is what the breeder told me. I had a friend that got her cat at the same time. But she let the vet give them all at one time not listening to the breeder her cat died too. The shot can only be given half of the shot and wait 2 weeks and go get the rest of that shot yes it makes going to the vet a never ending story. These cats can not take the full dose of these vaccines. I am so sorry!!!

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.