Cats/hyper kitten

dear kate
i just recently adopted a kitten and i brought him home for the first couple of hours he was fine while he was exploring his new surroundings but as soon as he got comfortable he starting scratching and just wanting to be playful i know that its normal for kittens to be really playful but he isnt normally playing he does it so much that its becoming a problem. he even scratches my daughter and i when were sleeping resulting in us getting no sleep we take him out of the room and he'll sit by the door crying all night not letting us sleep. my daughter and i are rarely home and were gone for long periods of the day so i was wondering if its maybe a result in like separation anxiety or something else?

well yes you could be right, it may be a form of separation anxiety but it could also be that he is under stimulated. As you know kittens are full of energy and mischief and if there environment is is not stimulating enough he will display behaviour such as scratching and crying etc.

kittens can be hard work, all you can do is to make sure that from the beginning you lay down the rules of behaviour, this is done with positive negative discipline as described here

And with a full and enriched home environment. I have some web pages that could help with that too

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.