Cats/kitten eye infection

Is there any thing I can do fr my kitten ? I just got her from a lady who says she has an eye ofection and cant take care of her.. I dont think I have mney to take her to the vet. I think she is four weeks old. her eyes are droopy and they are slightly red and cloudy. when she wakes up from sleeping the sealed shut and I have to clean them with a coth till she can open them. Theres yellow crusties around her eyes. It reminds me of pink eye when I was a child. MY two questions are, is there anything I can do with out taking her to a vet because I dont think I can affrd it though Ill make sure I can somehow if theres nothing I can do and, is it likely to be contagious?

it sounds to me like she may either have a nasty eye infection or has cat flu which is also very nasty. For a kitten so young both of these can permanently damage them if not worse. to be honest the best thing is to get her treatment from a vet.

there are many animal charities that can help with vet costs. telephone your vets office explain the situation and ask them if they can advise on how you can find treatment for your kitten. It is important that you do this as soon as you can.

i really hope you can find help soon.
best wishes KAte

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.