Cats/Cat Nail Bed infection

Question
I just noticed that one of my cat's rear nails seems to be missing and the toe looks infected.  It is red and inflamed and he is sensitive about me touching it.  Is this something I need to rush him to an afterhours/emergency clinic for since our vet is closed until Monday for the holiday weekend?  Or is there a home remedy I can try in the meantime?

Answer
Hi
cats can often loose a nail or too if they get it stuck whilst climbing etc. usually the wound heals up on its own but like you say if they get infected then they may need antibiotics to clear the infection.

if you can get them to the vets soon then it would be a good idea if not then try and bath the area in a mild solution of antiseptic and warm water and keep it as clean as possible until you can get them to a vet on Monday.

i wouldn't worry too much at this stage. These sorts of injuries are quite common and are usually cleared up easily.

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth