Cats/Cat Nail Bed infection

I just noticed that one of my cat's rear nails seems to be missing and the toe looks infected.  It is red and inflamed and he is sensitive about me touching it.  Is this something I need to rush him to an afterhours/emergency clinic for since our vet is closed until Monday for the holiday weekend?  Or is there a home remedy I can try in the meantime?

cats can often loose a nail or too if they get it stuck whilst climbing etc. usually the wound heals up on its own but like you say if they get infected then they may need antibiotics to clear the infection.

if you can get them to the vets soon then it would be a good idea if not then try and bath the area in a mild solution of antiseptic and warm water and keep it as clean as possible until you can get them to a vet on Monday.

i wouldn't worry too much at this stage. These sorts of injuries are quite common and are usually cleared up easily.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.