Cats/Young kitten with fleas

I just discovered my 7 week old Male kitten Gibbs who I've only had 4 days has a few fleas. The youngest age on all the flea products I've looked at is 12 weeks. I read in another question that you answered that a bath with Johnson's baby shampoo is okay but I'm afraid to give him a bath.   What would be the safest way for both of us to get rid of those darn fleas? Would it be okay to just go ahead and use a flea collar?

Also, I have his litter box in a "high traffic" area.  To the best of my family knowledge he has used it every time. But he meows a lot when he gets ready to use it, is he bothered or is this normal?

please see this page, some of the product mentioned on this page are suitable for kittens.

Regarding the litter box situation. It is better to try and have the box in a quiet corner where the cat can feel secure and safe. he may be anxious about using it and this is the cause of the meowing. If possible try to move it to see if he can become more confident with it.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.