Cats/no bowel movement

my cat has had kittens for the first time, they are nearly 5weeks old they are not on food yet but up to now i haven seen any sign of them going toilet wee or otherwise, they are happy and very playful but is this normal or should i be taking them to see a vet?  

at 5 weeks old it would be impossible for them not to have passed urine etc. They would be extremely ill if this were the case and you would certainly know this. in fact they may even have died.

You could try giving them a separate box with clean paper at the bottom of it for a few hours to see if you notice any urination etc.

the mother cat will stimulate their tummies to pass urine etc, you will see her doing this at various times of the day but mainly after they feed.

For more information I have many pages about kitten care which you may find of further interest. here is the first page

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.