Cats/Getting another cat

Hi. Very sadly one of my cats passed away earlier in the week which came as a big shock as he was only 3 and showed no sign of illness. I have another cat who is older aged 6 and is obviously missing him as they became good friends (eventually). I would like to get another cat in a few weeks time, but am unsure how my cat will react. Would he be resentful that a new cat has taken the other cats place or would he welcome some new company? Also, they were both males so would it be best to get another male or would that feel like a threat and be better off with a female?

Sorry to hear of your loss and sorry I have taken a little while to response but I am on holiday and am not getting to my pc as usual.

Anyway regarding getting another cat. It is important that you allow your surviving cat time to grieve. Yes they do grieve Please see my web page here about this

When you feel that your cat has had time to get over the loss of his friend, it is better to get a female cat rather than a male as it is generally easier for them to get along. If you do go ahead and get another cat then it is important that you introduce them in such a way as to try and reduce any fear etc. Please see my web page about this process here

best wishes kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.