Cats/cat

Question
I have two cats both about a year old and have been together and great with each other for about a year. My one cat had kittens 5 days ago and now my other cat is acting very aggressive towards her. She hasn't gone near the kittens, but everytime Fiona(the mother) comes into the same room with her she hisses and growls at her. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to help?

Answer
Hi
a lot of cat aggression is actually fear. This fear is often caused when things change or unfamiliar. In this case your mother cat may smell different, be behaving differently and of course there are the kittens which are new and strange. All these things could be unsettling to your other cat and as I say they often react with aggression.

I would keep them all apart for a few days, to allow them all to settle down and then they will need to be re introduced in a calm and secure environment. The process does take a little time and effort but is worth it in the end, to have happier more settled cats who should be able to live together in some sort of harmony.  The process is described here on my web page /introducing-cats.html

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth