Cats/cat gave birth in bushes

Question
a cat that was dropped off at my house 3 weeks ago just gave birth in some thick bushes this morning.  It has rained hard all morning.  Should I move the kittens to a dry place.  Can I touch them.  They are literally a few hours old.

Answer
Hi
No I wouldn't touch them just yet but you could place a cardboard box with some warm blankets or paper in it near by (perhaps cover it with a plastic bag to protect it from the rain, so that the mother cat can move them their herself if she wishes.

cats are at the end of the day still wild animals at heart and the outside world is there natural territory, so giving birth in all sorts of conditions is normal for them. Also the mother cat will decide where and when to move them. All we should do at this stage is make something nearby available for her. perhaps put some food out too near the box to encourage her.

best wishes kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth