Cats/cat urinating on furniture

Hi Kate,
I have a one year cat, who started a couple of months urinating on my couch cushions,spare bed, and my bed when she gets a chance. She uses her litter box faithfully, and but at night she insists on urinating on my furniture. I have tried everything from calming collars, to non-marking sprays, and vinager. Please help me, I don't know what else I can do. I love my cat, but can't keep puttting up with this.

Hi this is a common problem. Basically your cat is marking her territory, now this may be because she feels a little unsettled in the home for some reason. Has anything changed, new furniture, new people, new smells etc etc. Anything even quite small can set them off on this behaviour.

My best advice is to ask you to read my web page about this problem and also to follow the advice and the litter box retraining i.e the confinement method as this will help your cat settle down again.

here is the first page

be persistent with the training etc and this problem should settle down.

best wishes kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.