Cats/cat urinating outside of cat litter box

Question
Hello,
We have a cat that just doesn't seem to be able to go the bathroom in the litter box for some reason.  She is 17 years old (but the problem has been ongoing for some time now) and she goes into the box, but then hangs her behind out of it to pee.  Any suggestions would be appreciated, otherwise we are going to have to put her down & I would hate to do that...
Thanks so much for your help..

Answer
Hi
this sounds to me just like a training issue along with perhaps a litter tray issue.

i don't know what sort of tray you are using or how big it is. but it sounds to me like she may need a bigger tray. She may also benefit from one of the covered ones too.

/cat-litter.html

My own cat used to have similar issues but we bought her one which was much bigger and had a top on it 9we took the door off though as she was too afraid to go in with it on.

you could also give her a period of training with the new tray which is just about building her confidence with it in a smaller environment. (described here /cat-litter-box.html )

best wishes kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth