Cats/cat vomiting

I have a 2 yr. old cat (short all black glossy short coat) who seems healthy, except that she throws up her food maybe 3 times a week undigested right next to her bowl.  I brush her every day and feed her Iams indoors, hairball remedy, low fat dry food and water only. There is no hair in her vomit.  Since she seems otherwise to have energy, etc., should I just not worry about it?  Any suggestions?

this sounds to me like she may be eating her food too quickly or not chewing it before swallowing.

this is either caused by a bad tooth or she is eating too much too quickly this happened to my own cat).

Check inside her mouth to see if you can see any bad teeth or thick plaque which could be causing her discomfort when she eats, so she just swallows. If you think there is a problem then a trip to the vets is in order.

if you think her teeth are fine then you could try feeding her smaller amounts more often throughout the day. that way she can't eat too much in one go. She will get used to the new routine after a while. Also make sure that where she eats is a nice safe quite area. She should feel safe when she eats and not nervous, which can also cause cats to eat too quickly.

Best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.