Cats/How young can a cat get pregnant?

Question
Hello, Kate. I recently took in a very young kitten. My guess is that she is about 6 weeks old, because she is able to eat cat food. The problem is, her stomach is plump and round. A friend of mine thinks she is pregnant, but I disagree. Is 6 weeks to young to be pregnant?
-Morgan

Answer
Hi
yes at six weeks she is way too young to be pregnant. It is usually from between 4 and 6 months old they first start to go into heat. Please see my web page here for information on this.

/cat-in-heat.html

At 6 weeks old she may have worms if she has not been treated, it is always best to have very young kittens checked by a vet just in case something internal is wrong, especially if the kitten was a stray.

I also have lots of pages about looking after kittens etc which you may also find of interest here is the first page

/kitten-care.html

best wishes kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth