Cats/3 month old cat with behavior problems

My 3 month old "kitten" refuses to poop in the litter box. We have our cats litter box in the spare bathroom and we clean it nightly, she pees in it just fine but will not poop in it. She would rather poop in the tub, on the floor by the toilet or in certain areas of the living room. At first we thought that she might be marking her territory for some reason so we cleaned everything well with bleach to kill any odors and steam cleaned with a pet enzyme to kill any odors in the carpet and it still hasn't helped stop the problem. We tried the sticking her nose in it and showing her the litter box and that too did not help. She is otherwise a good cat and a perfect companion for our older cat and I would hate to have to find her a new home because of this one problem. Why could she be doing this? Is there anything I can try to get it to stop?

In cases like this I always recommend a period of litter training using the confinement method. This helps the cat become more familiar with their tray in a smaller area which eliminates other distractions and also helps to build confidence.

The process is described at the bottom of this page

Best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.