Cats/Cat's hair on top of it's nose changed.

I have a Maincoon mix.  I am not sure of the mix because we got her from the SPCA.  Today my husband noticed that the hair on top of her nose has a darker shade that tappers off to the regular color.  It seems to have changed.  I check with some older pictures and sure enough it is different.  We have made some changes lately to her diet, and then several weeks later her litter.  She seemed to do fine with both.  Is this normal with her age.  She is about 5 years old now.  Also I wondered if it has to do with where we live now.  We used to live in upstate NY where we got her and now live in Missouri.  We have live here for about a year and a half.  Thanks so much for your help.  

well I don't think it is anything to worry about in particular it is probably just due to age. All our hair changes over time one way or another but as long as her fur condition is good and there are no other changes or signs of illness i would not worry.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.