Cats/Grown cat urinating problem

We have 2 male siamese cats at home and they have both been neutered and de-clawed.  One is 3 years old and one is two.  Just recently, one of them started urinating in our basement (which is where we have their litter box placed).  We do clean the box every other day, and it is a large box.  I do not know which cat it is, but I suspect it is the 3 year old.  How do I stop this behavior and get rid of the terrible smell?

it is recommended that each cat has it's own litter tray as the smell of the other cats urine can often be seen as a threat or territory marker. (why this suddenly happens is often not known, but something has triggered this behaviour. The tray should not be placed next to each other or near their food.

Your cat will need a period of retraining with his litter training this gives them their confidence back too. The process is described at the bottom of this page

As for the smell there are products you can buy or you could try a home made solution using bicarbonate of soda. Both are described here

I'm sure that your cat will find his old routine a again soon.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.