Cats/Kitten with something in intestine

My kitten got sick, she became lethargic and wouldn't eat or go to the bathroom. We took her to the vet and they said she had something lodged in her intestines. We can't afford surgery so they gave her a laxative. She is eating a little bit now but still has went to bathroom. Do you think that she will be okay if she is eating and we give her more laxatives?

difficult to say really. if the vet thinks that something is lodged i.e stuck then the only way to move it may be with surgery.

Laxatives may just make the problem worse. imagine if you were taking laxatives but the obstruction would not move, you may end up in a lot of pain and discomfort.

it all really depends on what your vet thinks, he is the one who has examined your kitten and so knows if laxatives are likely to work or not. telephone the vets and ask again if you are unsure.

i hope your kitten is better soon

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.