Cats/Youngest cat attacking oldest cat

Question
Hi Kate,

I have 18 cats, all of them rescues.
There never was any problem, until I adopted Scaramouche, my youngest, who came out of an abuse situation.
He was about 3 months old then, after a few months he began to attack my oldest (female) cat Aria (14 years old).
It became worse and worse, now she's sitting all day long on top of a closet & is even scared to go to the litterbox.
Neutering Scaramouche didn't make any difference, he's now about 1 year old..
He doesn't chase the other cats, only her. To me & the other cats he's quite gentle, but for some reason he has it in for Aria & his attacks are really fierce. Aria is really suffering under the situation and I often have to rescue her from Scara.
What's the exact problem here & how can I solve this permanently ?

Thank you in advance for your advice - also in the name of Aria & Scaramouche,

Yves.

Answer
Hi
well to be blunt with you I am not sure there is an answer to this. Sometimes a cat just dislikes another cat and there is not much we can do to change their mind.

it must be  a very distressing situation for you all as i had a cat once who just could not get along with my older cat.

At the end of the day you could try a period of introduction with these two cats, it does take time and a lot of patience but may help. the process is described here

/introducing-cats.html

However if the situation does not improve you may have to make the hard decision of rehoming one or the other of the cats for their own happiness.

Sorry to be so blunt.
i hope you can work something out for you all.

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth