Cats/poops out side of box

hi. i have a young adult cat that was using the litter box with no problems but lately she started to poop out side the box. the box is on the top floor now she poops any where. please help.....rosette

well this is either caused by ill health ie.e diarrhoea or it is behavioural called middening.

if you feel that she is deliberately pooping elsewhere then it is probably middening. this is another form of territory marking and is also used to help make the cat feel more at home 9if something has happened which may have upset them. for more details about this issue please see my web page here

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.