Cats/Cat Behavior

Hi Kate.

I adopted a new male one year old cat about 2 weeks ago. My old cat (a 4 year old tabby girl) was hissing at him at first but that went away. My old cat is now chasing the new cat and now I can tell the male is afraid of the female even when she comes near him. I don't want the male living in fear. My question is: will the chasing stop? Or should I return the cat back to the shelter. Also, I tried to put him back in the bedroom with the door closed but he wanted out!

Thank you, Anthony  

I don't know how you went about introducing the cats to each other, but it is important that this process is carried out slowly and in a secure and safe way for the cats to be able to build confidence in each other.
You can still do this now as it has only been a few weeks the process is described here

Don't worry with a little time and patience things can work out, it's just that it has to be taken at the cats speed and not ours. that's cats for you :)

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.