My cat throws up hairballs at least every 2nd or 3rd day.  It is light brown in colour (just like his food)and mixed in it is his hair.  It looks like poop when it comes out but smells like his food.
He is a very fluffy cat.
Is it normal for him to cough up so much. He never used to do this as often as he is now.

no it is not normal to cough up fur balls as often as your cat does and it can be harmful to his health.

Long haired or fluffy cats need special care, for instance they will need you to groom them every day to prevent hairballs forming. It will also prevent matting of the fur which is very painful and needs a vet or a groomers to remove.

i have a web page about hairballs which will give you some more information about them and what to do, I also have a web page about how to groom long haired cats. the pages should be able to help your cats problem.

here are the pages

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.