Cats/Howling

Question
My male 15 year old cat has been howling at night for weeks now.  I don't think he is senile because he recognize us. My family lost our pet dog but that was about 6 months ago. Could he still be in mourning of our dog?

Answer
Hi
well your cat is getting on a bit so I would suggest that it could be age related. It may not be that he has gone completely senile but he may now find it more difficult to see of he may be suffering from hormonal changes which has changed his behaviour.

Night time is the natural time for cats to be active but for an older cat it can also be the time when they may become a little more afraid, the house is quiet, everyone is gone, it is dark etc. This can be a common problem for the older cat.

As to what you can do. well there is not much but I would suggest that the first thing you do is to have him checked out by a vet to make sure that there are no possible underlining illnesses which could have changed his behaviour. The vet will also be able to advise if there is anything you can do or give her to calm her down if that is what he suggests is the problem.

Any change in behaviour needs to be checked out by a vet as it is often the first sign of possible illness.

I do have a web page about old cats which you may find of further interest here

/senior-cat.html

best wishes KAte

Cats

Kate Tilmouth