Cats/Kitten that sucks his tail

Dear Kate
I know you said you were not a trained for medical questions but our 9 week old kitten sucks his tail til it bleeds. If we put a plaster on it he thinks it's a toy and bites it... what can I put on it that 'tastes' bad? Of course not knowing what a cat thinks is a nasty taste is tricky.
ANY advice. WE are so worried his tail will become infected.

well this is tricky as anything that tastes bad may also smell strange and your cat won't be able to get away from it, which is not good. Most vets would recommend that you fit a cat hood until the wounds heal (available from your vets), they may also have some advice as to what can be done long term to stop the sucking, i'm sure they would have encountered this before.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

best wishes Kate  

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.