Cats/Mean kitty chasing sweet kitty...

Question
Hello,
I've been having a problem with my 2 year old spayed female cat. A few months, I took in an unspayed mother cat along with her 6 newborn kittens. I was able to find homes 3 of the kittens and now have 3 kittens plus the mom living in my house. Before I took in the mommy cat, i had two cats of my own, one male and one female, both 2 years in age. Recently, my 2 year old female cat has been chasing the mother cat into a closet. She does this all day to the point where the mom cat doesn't even want to come out at all. Its making me so very sad, since I love them all. How can I stop my one cat from chasing the mom??

Thank you!

Answer
Hi
The quick answer is you can't but you may be able to make it a little less stressful for all concerned.

whenever a new cat or cats are introduced to existing pets it is recommend that they are taking through a process of introduction. this helps to build confidence and reduce the fear. the process does however take a lot of time and patience on your part. but it is worth it in the end. the process is descried here

/introducing-cats.html

Also once the mother cat has weaned her kittens at around 12 weeks you really will have to consider having her spayed. this will also reduce the tension and conflict between your cats. This will also apply to your kittens if you keep them between 4 and 6 months of age.

best wishes Kate
http;//www.our-happy-cat.com

Cats

Kate Tilmouth