Cats/My cat

Hi there, we have had our cat for 8/9 years and 3 years ago we got a rabbit. The rabbit tried to be friends  with the cat on numerous occasions but the cat would have none of it as he was of the rabbit!

Unfortunately the rabbit died last week and sinse then the cat has been sitting on where he is buried, laying on top of his hutch and also going to the rabbits favourite pleace behind a bush in the garden where the cat never went before hand!

Also, he used to love laying on a footstall indoors but that was where the rabbit actually died and now he wont go anywhere near it!

Could you tell me why my cat is behaving in this way?!

Thank you

well believe it or not cats do have emotional ties to other animals even if they appear not to like them, they get used to them being around etc. Now that the rabbit is no longer around your cat is wondering where they have gone. this is normal behaviour and is almost like grief.

Don't worry your cat will eventually return to normal as time passes but it is a natural process the cat is going through.

i have a web page about cat grief which you may find of further interest here

best wishes KAte

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.