Cats/My cat

Question
Hi there, we have had our cat for 8/9 years and 3 years ago we got a rabbit. The rabbit tried to be friends  with the cat on numerous occasions but the cat would have none of it as he was of the rabbit!

Unfortunately the rabbit died last week and sinse then the cat has been sitting on where he is buried, laying on top of his hutch and also going to the rabbits favourite pleace behind a bush in the garden where the cat never went before hand!

Also, he used to love laying on a footstall indoors but that was where the rabbit actually died and now he wont go anywhere near it!

Could you tell me why my cat is behaving in this way?!

Thank you

Answer
Hi
well believe it or not cats do have emotional ties to other animals even if they appear not to like them, they get used to them being around etc. Now that the rabbit is no longer around your cat is wondering where they have gone. this is normal behaviour and is almost like grief.

Don't worry your cat will eventually return to normal as time passes but it is a natural process the cat is going through.

i have a web page about cat grief which you may find of further interest here

/cat-grief.html

best wishes KAte

Cats

Kate Tilmouth