Cats/one kitten delivered only

hi.i have a cat,smokey who is prob around 9yrs now and she just gave birth to a litter lastnite.she does it in my room only as we r very close,but around 4am she delivered one kitty only n after a while came out n slept on my bed.i went to look for more but there were none.her past litters have always been 3 or 4 kittys.she is persian but has mated with regular road side toms:(
she has no discharge so far n she ate n this morning aslo she laid besides me n slept like a baby.she also in abt every 2 hr or so is feeding her lil one.should i expect more kittens or should i rush her to the vet.whats the safe period,i mean how many hours should i wait to see if shed deliver with out taking her to the vet at this stage.also im a lil apprehensive what if my vet wants to go for a surgery as they do most times in my country to make money.:(((  im in a fix please help!!!

well it is common that a few hours will go by between kittens being born but I would say that it sounds like she may only have one kitten this time.

As long as she is not showing any signs of pain or a change in behaviour then I would not worry. Any indication though that she may not be herself should be checked by a vet just in case.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.