Cats/one of my kittens died today only born yesturday

hi my cat had 5 kittens yesterday and has been leaving one kitten out today i found it on the floor and then again on its own in the bed separated from the others dead why?

It sounds to me like this kitten is what is known as the runt of the litter. This means that it was not as strong as the others and may even had something wrong with it. Mother cats know this and so they will deliberately stop looking after it as they have to concentrate on their healthy kittens. this is completely natural behaviour and although to us seems unfair and cruel it is natures way.

Best wishes kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.