Cats/pregant queen

my young 16month old siamese queen insists on letting our 14week old kittens suckle  will this harm the unborn kittens she has about 3 1/2 weeks to goand it is her first litter

Hi no it won't harm the unborn kittens but the milk the queen produced straight after giving birth contains a colostrum for the first 12 to 24 hours. This is vitally important for the new kittens growth and health. So the fact that other kittens are suckling may disturb this natural balance, i. e she may not produce this milk composition as she should after birth. i really would try to keep the queen separate from the other kittens until well after the birth of the new kittens.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.