Cats/9 yr old cat with large stomach

My female 9 year old cat is very fat (has skin hanging down from stomach) but also has a very large stomach, which feels quite hard.  Though she doesn't have excess fat on the rest of her body.  She is a very grumpy cat anyway but growls alot when you touch her stomach or pick her up.  Is this normal behaviour or could she be in pain?

well I obviously cannot say for sure but from your description i would say that she may have some pain in that area. Also if her tummy is hard this may be a sign of something wrong internally too.

My advice would be to definitely take her to see a vet sooner rather than later. If she does need treatment then the sooner that can begin the better and if nothing is wrong then at least you will have peace of mind and the knowledge that you provided the best care for her.

I hope all is well

best wishes kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.