Cats/Cat Behavior

My cat, 3 and a half years, is having problems urinating.
He constantly is meowing loudly, and is obviously having struggles with the use of his litter box.
His eyes look glassy.
There are no vet's available at the moment, due to the holidays.
I gave him wet food from a can with a sprinkle of amoxiciline, and it seemed to calm him down and reduce the meowing,
Afterwards, he was able to use the litterbox.
We continued this for a week.
He still does seem uncomfortable.

What do you think was wrong with my cat?

well this sounds to me like either he has a urinary infection or a blockage in his uretha. In either case he definately needs to see a vet as soon as possible. It can be very nasty and painful.

If it were defiantely a urinary infection i would suggest making sure your cat had plenty to drink. however if it is a blockage this could make the situation worse.

I hope you can find a vet soon.

best wishes Kate

I have a page about cat urinary infections for further information here

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.