My eight month old kitten just started her first heat cycle a few days ago. I thought I understood enough about it (I had a cat go through heat, but it ended up being a male cat. Go figure). Anyways, yesterday I was holding her and I noticed that when I picked her up, there was a clear drop on my pants leg. It didn't smell, so I am pretty sure that it wasn't urine. I haven't noticed her spraying, but I just wanted to make sure that this liquid was harmless. Can it damage furniture or clothes? I am going to get her fixed as soon as possible, but the cheapest place around here won't be able to do the procedure until March. Thanks for any info you can give me.

no this is normal and harmless. It may stain clothes and furniture though if left un noticed but there shouldn't be much.

I am surprised that the vets cannot fit you in until march that is a long way off. lets hope its because they are busy neutering other animals (it really is a problem)

i have a page about cats in heat which you may find of further interest here

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.