Hopefully this info will help you answer our question better:We purchased a kitten a few days ago. She is about 12 weeks old.
When we first brought her home, we placed her litter box in our living room. She used it perfectly. We decided we would like to move the litter box, and we didn't think it would be that big of a deal. We moved it upstairs, in the room she sleeps in at nights. We put her in it several times, so she knows where it is. But now instead of using the litter box, she poos and urinates in the living room, exactly where the litter box used to be.
How do we fix this?
Thanks in advance for your help!

yes she does sound a little confused. There is a method of litter box training where you confine the cat in one room for a week or so along with their litter box, toys etc. this helps to reinforce the idea of using the litter tray. perhaps you could do this in the room where you want the litter to remain.

i have a web page with more details of this training method here

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.