Cats/cat birth

my cat just had three kittens and I know there are more in there and it's been three hours since she had the third kitten. She is also bleeding and she left her kittens to go upstairs to eat the other cats food and she doesn't ever do that until all of her kittens are born. Is this normal?  

yes there can be several hours between kittens. All you can do is keep watching and if your cat displays any sign of distress then get her to a vets as soon as you can.

I wouldn't be surprised that if by the time you have read this reply that she has had all her kittens.

I have some web pages about cats and pregnancy and also lots about kitten care which you may find of further interest.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.