Cats/cat sore

My daughters cat stays inside at all times. doesn't fight with the 2 dogs we have. we have a slight problem with fleas. the cat has 2 dime size sores. no hair on the area,and is open as if she scratched it open? she has been fine up till yesterday when these appeared. the one was like a scab before hand. do cats scratch themselves like a dog would? i've seen dogs scratch themselves till they bleed but never seen cats do it. the cat isn't a year old yet, but last week i think she was going into some stages of heat. not sure if that would be helpful info. thank you for your time

yes it is not unusual for a cat to either over groom due to stress or to scratch so much due to fleas etc that it causes hair loss and scabs.

I have a web page about fur loss and also pages about how best to tackle fleas both on the cat and in the home too. i hope they will help you further.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.