Cats/litter problem

Hi my cat tigger is a year old, and has started pooing near the litter tray, but weeing in the litter tray i am confused as to why he has started doing this, my other cat does not have this problem.

cats will use their poo as a scent marker and I was wondering if you have one or two litter trays? i ask because if you have one for two cats it could be that this cat has decided that he is not happy sharing it any more and is leaving his poo outside to tell the other cats to stay away this is mine.

It is always recommend that there are separate litter trays when there is more than one cat in the home.

Please see my web page about this issue, it also has some advice about how you may be able to stop the behavior.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.