Cats/new stray kitten

Question
i saw your response to a question earlier about how her kitten was in hiding..i recently adopted a stray (estimated age about 5 months old). the poor thing was living within the cracks of a building in a retail mall..the person who found it, took it in and had all the vacc's and had him neutered...i know this had to be stressful on the poor thing, and now he wont come out of his carrier..ive only had him for 1 day but was wondering if the time frame applies to my little stray? i have him pretty much secluded in an area of my apartment and its only me living here..so its pretty quiet..will it take him weeks to come out? i worry about him getting enough nutrition and water..please help? thanks

Answer
Hi
yes, your little guy needs some time to adjust too. All you can really do is leave him alone in a quiet place with food and water and litter near by so that he can get to if he wants.

he really does need to find his own feet, too much fussing from us humans can often hider rather than help.

he will eat and drink when he's hungry.

You may also find my pages about cat bonding of interest as it is designed to allow the cat to discover you and so not be afraid of you. here is the page

/new-cat.html

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth