Cats/new stray kitten

i saw your response to a question earlier about how her kitten was in hiding..i recently adopted a stray (estimated age about 5 months old). the poor thing was living within the cracks of a building in a retail mall..the person who found it, took it in and had all the vacc's and had him neutered...i know this had to be stressful on the poor thing, and now he wont come out of his carrier..ive only had him for 1 day but was wondering if the time frame applies to my little stray? i have him pretty much secluded in an area of my apartment and its only me living its pretty quiet..will it take him weeks to come out? i worry about him getting enough nutrition and water..please help? thanks

yes, your little guy needs some time to adjust too. All you can really do is leave him alone in a quiet place with food and water and litter near by so that he can get to if he wants.

he really does need to find his own feet, too much fussing from us humans can often hider rather than help.

he will eat and drink when he's hungry.

You may also find my pages about cat bonding of interest as it is designed to allow the cat to discover you and so not be afraid of you. here is the page

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.