Cats/spraying cats

Hi Kate. I have 5 cats, all rescues and they have lived with me for 5 years. I moved house 2 years ago and built a huge fenced off area of garden including areas of trees and shrubs for climbing/scratching, complete with heated indoor cattery including armchairs and sofas. I built this as we live near a road and lost one of them to a speeding car during the first week here. They are much loved and pampered and 3 of them often come into the house. They are all house trained and neutered (4 females, 1 male) but two of them have always sprayed a lot. They are brother and sister and were neutered about 6 years ago. I have tried lots of things, including Feliway, water pistols, cat repellant sprays to deter them from spraying in certain areas but nothing has worked. I'd love to bring them both into the house but can't unless there's a solution to their ponging...I had to take up all of the staircarpet and hallway floor coverings as I couldn't get rid of the smell. I have previously checked they are OK with the vet, no problems detected.I'd love some advice if you have any great ideas! Many thanks for your time, Jane

well it could be simply because there are 5 cats all living in close proximity. Cats use urine as you know as territory markers and if they feel that they have to constantly mark there territory they will. Some cats are more prone to this sort of behavior than others.

I'm not sure what to recommend here as your situation is rather different than normal.

All i think I can do is to ask you to read my pages about this problem and what to do about it. perhaps there will be something you can use to try and help the situation.

Here are my pages

Unfortunately it may be that you will have just have to try and keep these two cats outside all the time. But you could try the litter box training confinement method for a week in the home and then rub the cats down with a clean towel and transfer their scent around the house. Sometimes this is enough to settle the cats down.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.