Cats/Beginner owner

My little kitten
My little kitten  

I am very proud to say that I will be adopting a baby kitten from an animal shelter!!!! I have lots of experiences with cats because I worked at a cat shelter. This is my first time owning one though. He is a male domestic medium hair cat. I am just concerned because right now I understand that cats need play time outside the house, but my fence is not closed at the bottom and I am concerned that he might follow something that he is chasing into other yards and get lost. Can I bring my kitten outside and supervise him? anyway, I live in Canada so it gets really cold in the winter do i still have to take him out in the winter??? I really don't want to loose him because I love him dearly and I see many cats with collars walk around my neighborhood at night that can attack him.

Thank you soooo much!!!!
I really appreciate it!!!!

Wow what a gorgeous Kitten.

I have owned cats all my life and I have always believed that cats should be allowed to be cats and go outside when they want to. This means that we always make sure that they are micro chipped so that if in the very slim case of them getting lost they can be checked and brought home.

There are always other cats around and there will always be the odd cat fight, thats natural and all part of being a cat. Fights rarely result in serious injury as this is not in the acts interest. most fights are all show and warning shots as it were. they also are very good at looking after themselves once they are fully grown.

You may want to start with your kitten outside supervised by you perhaps using a cat leash or an enclosed pen. But it will be up to you if eventually you allow him to go further.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.