Cats/"Guard Cat"

I used to have a cat which growled at "intruders" or whenever she heard a knock at the door or someone passing that she didn't recognise. Is this common? Many thanks, Fiona Chapman, UK.  

No i dont think it is common but i have heard of this before. What can i say it may just be a reaction to something which has upset her in the past and she is expressing a warning sound to keep whatever or whoever it is away from her.

Nothing you can do about it apart from trying to distract her when people turn up.

best wishes KAte

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.