Cats/Burmese Behaviour Problem

Question
Hi Kate
I have a ten year old Burmese who is absolutely adorable, but he has started behaving very strangely early in the morning. At 6am he regularly decides I should be up and wakes me by getting on my bedside table and knocking my alarm clock off. If this doesn't work, he rubs his face on the table lampshade as if trying to switch it on. Failing that he climbs onto my dressing table and lifts the large wall mirror off the wall as if trying to get behind it. His cat flap is open at all times and I always make sure he has plenty of biscuits down, so it's not hunger or desperation to get out. Do you have any idea what could be causing this strange behaviour? I would welcome any advice on how to deal with this rather than resorting to banishing him from the bedroom - he is the best ever hot water bottle.
Sally  

Answer
Hi
well I have cats all my life and all of them have done similar behaviors to get me up.

Basically he is just trying to get your attention, he wants you up and fussing him etc. My two are the same, i don't get up to give them a stroke in the morning I end up with my toes being nibbled.

I really don;t think there is any way to stop this. You have to simply decide that you get up and fuss him or you pick him up and put him outside and close the door if you want to grab a few more minutes of sleep. Ah being a cat owner comes with all sorts of little quirks and compromises.

best wishes KAte

Cats

Kate Tilmouth