Cats/New kitten

I adopted a rescue kitten yesterday, and he is 6 months old, very affectionate and purring, but he wanders around meowing constantly, even while purring. He did sleep through most of the night in a small box which I put stuffed toys and blankets in, and then put it on ,my bed. He will cuddle with me, but if I am not right there he meows loudly for about 10 minutes at a time, then settles down and sits and looks around. He also has not used his litterbox yet, although I have introduced it to him  half a dozen times. He eats and drinks fine though. I think the other cat at the rescue with him was his brother. Is his meowing from stress or anxiety or missing his brother?

the simply answer is yes. It is very likely that he feels a little overwhelmed and a little confused and lost. this is normal, after all we would all feel that way in his circumstances I think.

Dont worry though he will settle down, just give him lots of things to keep him entertained. this will take his mind off of his new situations. i know it can be a little distressing for us but he is fine, he is just finding his feet.

i have some pages on my site about kitten care which you may find of further interest. here is the first page

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.